Built in 1920's near Fort Scott,Ks this building served as a "repeater station" for the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company for its long distance lines in the area.
At one time it had electrical equipment inside that increased the telephone signal to carry the messages on down the line. It was connected to the electrical power line running south to Garland Ks. With had a crew of two to four men maintaining the operation. It ceased productions in the 1980's due to the wave of the future, microwave towers and the cell phones.
For further reading on Repeaters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeater
Special Thanks goes to Fred Campbell Jr. for historical information.